Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
The latest round of layout change ideas
Topic Started: Apr 13 2018, 08:19 PM (165 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

So, time for another of these :P . I've had a few more ideas for improving the board layout, which I'd like to list in here :P . Here we go:

• Remove the two 'General Gaming' sub-forums, and replace them with a 'Gaming Gallery' (needs a better name).

At the moment, I don't think the two sub-forums for specific genres are really adding much to the board. 'Construction and Management Simulation Games' is small with very little potential for growth: it only has 21 topics, and it's unlikely that our members will start many more. 'Strategy Games' is somewhat better, but at this point it's largely just an archive of old topics.

My proposal is that we scrap them both, and replace it with a place for people to share their gameplay stories. This could be in the form of written reports (with screenshots), or Let's Plays, or perhaps even reviews. I'm not sure what to call it: the best name I could think of was 'Gaming Gallery', but this implies it'd just be screenshots, so I'm not really happy with that name :( .

• Add a 'Leisure and Playtime' sub-forum in General Chat.

We have quite a few topics about toys, and about non-video games (for example, card games and board games). The latter are currently in General Gaming, where they're out of place IMO, but there's nowhere else to put them. The former are in the main General Chat forum, but there's nowhere else to put them. This would work as a new home for both - and, while it wouldn't be big enough to be a forum on the main index, it would allow General Chat to gain another sub-forum (after losing Food and Drink to 'Health and Lifestyle' when I added that, and the Face-off Arena to 'What If?' when I added that :P )

• Make 'Motorsport' a sub-forum of 'General Sport' (which would be re-named to just 'Sport').

Both boards have declined in activity a bit in recent months, so I don't think it makes much sense to keep two forums related to sport. Just merge them back together again :P .

• Re-name 'Sports and Gaming' to 'Sports and Media'
    Move 'Entertainment' out of 'Topical Discussions', and into 'Sports and Media'

This would effectively be a restoration of the pre-2014 layout, where we had the more 'serious' discussion topics in one category, and the more 'fun' ones in another. This changed at the beginning of 2014, when we made 'Gaming' its own category, and everything else went together into one super-category. However, we've slowly been drifting back to the old system (with the fairly forced and awkward 'Sports and Gaming' category) - so, now, it makes sense to tidy things up and make the transition complete :) .

So, what are everyone's thoughts on these?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

Sounds good to me. I think "Gaming Gallery" makes sense for what you want it to be.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Moonface
Member Avatar
Rank 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Perhaps instead of Gaming Gallery, call it Gaming Showcase.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

Moonface
Apr 15 2018, 10:26 PM
Perhaps instead of Gaming Gallery, call it Gaming Showcase.
Beat me to it!

Can also have a pinned topic in it for people to post advertisements to their YouTube and Twitch pages as well.
Offline Profile Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar

Yep, those are both good ideas :D .

(Of course, I wouldn't have anything to add to it, since my YouTube channel is long-dead, and I've never had a Twitch channel, but others may be able to add to it :P )
Offline Profile Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar

It's been long enough, so I'll set about implementing these now.

Thanks for the feedback, guys :) !
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Feedback and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies