Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Phone/Email scams; Two topics merged
Topic Started: Mar 19 2018, 12:55 PM (148 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

Have you ever been unfortunate enough to be phoned by people claiming to be from tech support, but who in reality were just trying to scam you?

This happened to me today. I was lying ill in bed, when I was disturbed by the phone ringing. Turned out, it was purportedly from Windows tech support, from someone who explained that my computer was sending out error messages which indicated it was infected by a virus. In order to show me, they asked me to turn my computer on, then press Windows+R to run a program, then type in 'EVENTVWR' (ending with 'R for Ransom', not 'R for Romeo': someone didn't know the Phonetic Alphabet :lol: ). Now, this sounded extremely suspicious, so instead, I just typed it into Google. As I suspected, it turned out to be a scam, which has been around for several years now! At this point, I just hung up - but, had I continued, I would have been asked to download TeamViewer, and then give them remote access to my computer. There was no way I would've fallen for that, but apparently, some people must, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time doing this :facepalm: .

So, has anything like this ever happened to you? Tell us your stories :P .
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

It happened to me a few years ago, only that I just yelled down the receiver because I knew straight away they were talking bullsh*t. Plus that their broken English gives it away too. Fortunately, it's not happened again.

And just for everyone's reassurance, Microsoft would never contact you by phone about anything. Just ignore these calls and move on.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Let's talk about those who want to scam us either by phone harassment, email or texting. I've had those on my smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S4, someone voicemail 10 k times a day saying this to me : "We have a business proposition for you, I repeat, this is not from a telemarketer, we have 100% genuine business deal to make with you and high profitable, please reply with your personal bank account details." And we have this most recent scammer by our residential line harassing my dad : "Mr. X, you may sell your Lexus SUV with us with a high profit for you, so please don't miss out YOUR opportunity." Hate them! Talk about any scams you might have had in the past, recently or presently! It's my personal pet peeve, so yeah. What can we do against them? Is there no recourse with them at all? I'm not familiar with any communications law in my country. So yeah.
Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

BTW, since we had a topic about a phone scammer who tried (unsuccessfully) to scam me, I've merged the two threads together.

Anyway:

Quote:

"We have a business proposition for you, I repeat, this is not from a telemarketer, we have 100% genuine business deal to make with you and high profitable, please reply with your personal bank account details."

Seriously, who on Earth would fall for THIS :facepalm: ?!?!

Mozzie
Member Avatar
Socially Confused

Y get them here, like insurance claim or i have a virus lol, got one the other day and i said to him, tell me, your going to tell me i have a virus yes, he said no and hung up lol

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Mozzie
Apr 12 2018, 04:30 AM
tell me, your going to tell me i have a virus yes, he said no and hung up lol
That's how you know right off the bat that it's a scam call. Same if you try to question them and they do the same thing. Cowards :lol:

Yami Yugi
Member Avatar
Playstation King Yami
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I received a phone scam from some one claiming to be from the IRS telling me that I owned money when I haven't owned any taxes: ever. I just hung up on them cause that isn't how the IRS conducts business.

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

There was one that was really despicable... a few days back, my mother received a call from someone claiming to be Sky, and that person had tried their hardest on getting her to give out the personal details. Well, you would know that if you get a legitimate call from them if they know your password and have the papers in front of them. This scammer clearly didn't... and probably operates in some dingy smelly room with others in the same low as him/her.

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen

I got a scam call from the IRS saying I owed money & that they'd come to take me to jails if I didn't pay up. I only listened to the answering machine that picked up as I was busy feeding my cat. I laughed my a** off & just deleted & reported it to the IRS via email afterwards. So yea, it's definitely tax scam season. XD

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Oh dear... you and Yami have both been victims of bogus IRS calls? Let's hope it didn't affect anybody else in your street D:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Good Day,
I am Simon Lowth a Branch Manager of a Bank .
I want to inquire from you if you can handle a transaction of mutual benefits for both of us.
The transaction is about seeking your consent to present you as the next of kin/ beneficiary of 7.5Million dollars belonging to a deceased customer of my Bank.
I will give you more details about the transaction when I receive your response
Thanks and good bless.
Yours Faithfully,
Simon Lowth

So yeah, had this in my spambox today. Thought it'd be funny for everyone to read. I loled at it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mozzie
Member Avatar
Socially Confused

Sadly though there are a lot of elderly out there that get cought out

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Much worse, those that have a fragile state of mind or are locked in solitude. When one elderly woman that my mother's friend knew, she got into a psychotic fit after just one cold call. No joke here... just shows how inconsiderate those bastards are. They don't know who they're really dealing with.

Also, Naiwen, I've never seen these emails in a looong time. Guess I'm lucky, or that I don't disclose my email to somewhat-shady companies.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I've had a one call me but it wasn't a tech support one.

Though I do say I've listened to people prank call the scammers and that's pretty funny.

Shiny Star
Member Avatar
Irrelevant but still relevant

I got scammed foolishly a few months back on the Facebook market. I know it sounds shady enough but I guess I was too excited about the 'potential' deal to be too bothered. They said they were selling an iPhone 6S but the proposed phone never came. I contacted them then the Facebook account deleted itself. So, I went to the police about it but they're yet to do something. I'm so stupid, especially since they said they didn't have PayPal when it takes moments to make an account on there. Obviously, that's because PayPal has an anti-scam type thing set up.

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

My university e-mail tends to pick up one or two. I was rather amused by one that started "Dear Professor". Give me 20-30 years and let me get back to you. :P

Also, am sorry to hear that, Shiny. :(

Lordhen
Member Avatar
Rank 3
[ *  *  * ]
CJ
Mar 19 2018, 12:55 PM
Have you ever been unfortunate enough to be phoned by people claiming to be from tech support, but who in reality were just trying to scam you?

This happened to me today. I was lying ill in bed, when I was disturbed by the phone ringing. Turned out, it was purportedly from Windows tech support, from someone who explained that my computer was sending out error messages which indicated it was infected by a virus. In order to show me, they asked me to turn my computer on, then press Windows+R to run a program, then type in 'EVENTVWR' (ending with 'R for Ransom', not 'R for Romeo': someone didn't know the Phonetic Alphabet :lol: ). Now, this sounded extremely suspicious, so instead, I just typed it into Google. As I suspected, it turned out to be a scam, which has been around for several years now! At this point, I just hung up - but, had I continued, I would have been asked to download TeamViewer, and then give them remote access to my computer. There was no way I would've fallen for that, but apparently, some people must, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time doing this :facepalm: .

So, has anything like this ever happened to you? Tell us your stories :P .
They always tend to know exactly what is wrong with your computer before i know it myself.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Technology and Computers · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies