Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Interesting Graphs/Charts/Tables Thread
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 11:06 PM (286 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

Since we already have an "Interesting Maps Thread", and it's been pretty successful, I thought I ought to set up a sequel! This one is a place to post any interesting graphs, charts, or tables that you've found online - or made yourself :P .

I put this thread in Science and Philosophy, because that seems like the most natural place for it; however, the graphs, charts and tables don't have to be from science. They can be about anything you like!

I'll start off with a weird correlation that somebody pointed out to me, between the FIFA World Cup and the USA's congressional midterm elections, which had held true since 1982. If the USA has made the second round of the World Cup, then Republicans have made gains in the House of Representatives in that year's midterms. On the other hand, if the USA has failed to make it out of the first round (or failed to qualify altogether), then Democrats have made gains in the House in that year's midterms:

Posted Image

Of course, these kinds of spurious patterns are made to be broken (see here) - but, I'll be interested to see whether it holds true for another year in 2018....
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nick
Member Avatar
Glorified Abacus
[ *  *  * ]
Oh man CJ, I've been meaning to ask you if we have a visualizations thread recently.

Here's some social media demographics (big):

Spoiler: click to toggle

And how compulsory voting affected Argentina's political turnout and results:

Edited by Nick, Oct 13 2017, 06:14 PM.

CJ
Member Avatar

Interesting social media graphs. I'm a bit surprised Reddit isn't higher, TBH.

Also, am I right in thinking turnout was so low in Argentina prior to 1916 because the vast majority of people couldn't vote?

Nick
Member Avatar
Glorified Abacus
[ *  *  * ]
CJ
Oct 13 2017, 10:35 PM
Also, am I right in thinking turnout was so low in Argentina prior to 1916 because the vast majority of people couldn't vote?
No idea.

Google Search trends for 'how to tie a tie'

The Walking Dead TV Series Ratings (big)

CJ
Member Avatar

Is it bad that I wear a tie so rarely that I need to search that every time I tie one :P ?

Nick
Member Avatar
Glorified Abacus
[ *  *  * ]
All are big, I recommend opening them in their own tab and inspecting them that way.

Map of Mathematics

Map of Computer Science

Map of Physics

CJ
Member Avatar

I love the mathematical chart. It just shows how vast and expansive the subject is: even as a university graduate in the subject, there are still several fields on there which I know next to nothing about.

I'm gonna have to show that to the next person who claims that "Calculators have made mathematicians obsolete" :lol: !

Nick
Member Avatar
Glorified Abacus
[ *  *  * ]
CJ
Dec 5 2017, 05:29 PM
I love the mathematical chart. It just shows how vast and expansive the subject is: even as a university graduate in the subject, there are still several fields on there which I know next to nothing about.

I'm gonna have to show that to the next person who claims that "Calculators have made mathematicians obsolete" :lol: !
If a math degree teaches you anything, it's that you know even less than you thought you did.

When I saw this, I immediately thought of CJ:

Graph of Hours Spent Playing Video Games on Steam

'Cost' of video games vs cost of movies

Search & Value of Bitcoin

The correlation of these two almost suggests that interest in Bitcoin leads to an increase in its value and vice versa. It would explain the almost exponential relationship here.

CJ
Member Avatar

Only 250 hours on CK2? And only 130-something hours on Civ 5?

I'll raise them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Though, they do have more hours on EU4 than I do!)

Nick
Member Avatar
Glorified Abacus
[ *  *  * ]
"It still amazes me that academic fields, connected by co-citation, are arranged in a ring. Is there a missing "dark field" in the middle that we will find someday to connect it all together well?"

source
Edited by Nick, Mar 25 2018, 01:22 AM.

CJ
Member Avatar

I love it! I'm going to have to start inventing "Dark Field Theorists" as RPG characters now.

(Or maybe the "dark field" is magic, and so I already have them :lol: )

Nilvafefe
Member Avatar
Dovahkiin

Posted Image

Nick
Member Avatar
Glorified Abacus
[ *  *  * ]

CJ
Member Avatar

Wow, internet usage is lower than I thought. Still about 25% of Americans aren't using it according to that.

Fantastic graph, though :) !

CJ
Member Avatar

One in video form now. It's the top 10 countries by population since 1950 - and projected up to 2090:

I have to admit, I didn't realise just how close India is to overtaking China at this point. Nor did I know that Nigeria was projected to be the 3rd-most populous country by 2050, overtaking the USA :O !

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Science and Nature · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies